Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Few Insanities

Chris mentioned in the last blog post that he missed Beijing.  Let me just say, he stands alone in that.  Even though the starry-eyed newness of Taipei is wearing off, I don't look back.

Here are a few insights into life:

-I am becoming an expert cockroach killer.  Good thing Chris has such huge shoes, is all I have to say.  I haven't started killing them with my hands yet (one of my coworkers does), but I'm sure the time will come.

-We have made our 3rd trip to Ikea and finally feel like our house is where we want it to be!

-During my training, we were told that we had 6 sick days and 4 leave days.  Wrong.  I had to clearly ask: "so, we are given these days but we shouldn't really take them?"  That is correct.  They are given simply as a formality.

-I leave the school at 7 pm (!!) sometimes and people are still working.  There's this mentality that you have to stay later than your boss, so if your boss hasn't left, you don't leave.  Some of my fellow foreign coworkers are embarrassed to leave early, and so sneak out the back door.

-We got a phone for Chris after my many visits and arguments to get a phone for myself a few weeks ago.  Even this time they started putting up a fuss about the wrong dates on my Taiwan ID (ARC).  When they realized I already had a contract, they had a long and serious discussion between themselves.  "Ok," they finally told us, "we give you another phone on this contract, but you can't go tell everybody."  Can I just ask... who is Everybody?!?!
(it's on the internet now anyways... :)  

I'm sure there are many more oddities, but this is a good start.  Both Chris and I are making head-way with our students -- getting to know and understand them.  Grading periods are ending soon, which makes for extra stress...  It's 9:30 pm and Chris is just getting home.  

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment